With the crisp cool fall air we start craving something warm + comforting to fill our bellies. One of our favorite meals to make is Black Bean Soup with Zucchini, Cheddar Cheese + Chive Buttermilk Skillet Bread. This is a family favorite + super easy to make! It also is a great alternative to the ever so popular chili.
BLACK BEAN SOUP
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 large garlic coves, sliced
- 12 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 can green chilies
- 3 cups chicken stock
For Garnish: queso fresco, sour cream, crispy tortilla strips, diced avocado, fresh coriander* + fresh limes
*If you don’t care for coriander you can substitute for cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add the onion + salt + sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often + lowering the heat if the onion starts to brown too much. Add the garlic, coriander + spices. Cover + cook for 5 minutes more, checking every minute or so to make sure everything is gently sautéing + not burning.
- Add the black beans, green chilies + chicken stock, bring the mixture to a boil + simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup directly in the pot until almost completely smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve with cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, avocado, fresh coriander + fresh limes.
ZUCCHINI, CHEDDAR CHEESE + CHIVE BUTTERMILK SKILLET BREAD
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar + salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
- Whisk the melted butter into the buttermilk mixture.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mix, + gently combine. Don’t over mix the batter.
- Stir in the shredded cheese, shredded zucchini + chopped chives.
- Pour mixture into a greased skillet pan + bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean.