With St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner we have the perfect lunch for you and your littles! Our green pea soup with cheddar scallion panini is not only festive in color but it is super yummy with a healthy kick, now how could you go wrong with that. The soup is really easy to make and chances are that you may already have all the ingredients in your cupboard. We hope you are your littles and have fun on St. Patrick’s Day!
Green Pea Soup with Cheddar Scallion Panini
– 3 tablespoons butter
– 4 scallions
– 3 boxes (10 ounces each) frozen peas
– 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar (6 ounces)
– 8 slices sourdough bread
– Coarse salt and ground pepper
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add scallions, and cook, stirring, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add peas, broth, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until peas are tender, about 5 minutes; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, toss cheddar with scallions. Make 4 sandwiches with cheddar mixture and bread.
3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low. Place sandwiches in skillet, and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side, adding remaining tablespoon butter to skillet to cook second side.
4. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth (filling blender only halfway to prevent spattering). If necessary, adjust consistency with a little bit of water. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Slice each panini into four “fingers, and serve with soup.