It’s officially holiday season and we are trying to soak up as much of it as we can! This time of year is so magical and the perfect opportunity to slow things down a bit and spend more time together as a family. Our friends over at FamilyFun Magazine are here with us today sharing a super fun + super cute Mod Thanksgiving Leaf Garland craft with us that is the perfect activity to do with your little peanuts over the next week while you prep for your Turkey Day festivities! Watch your kids transform your dining room into a bright woodsy wonderland with crafts to keep— and share. String these cheerful strands from cabinets, the buffet, the walls, or even down the table. Directions below!
Mod Thanksgiving Garlands
What you’ll need:
- Leaf templates (find them at familyfunmag.com/printables)
- Kraft paper or paper shopping bags
- Craft paint
- Wooden beads (we used 20mm ones)
- Pinecones (about 20 per garland)
- Brightly colored twine
- Clear tape
What to do:
- Print leaf templates; cut out. Trace onto folded kraft paper as indicated and cut out, then open. You’ll need about 12 leaves.
- Paint stripes onto the leaves and wooden beads, allowing some of the natural wood and paper to show. Paint the scales of the pinecones (rolling them works too). Let dry.
- Cut an 8-foot length of twine. Tie on your first pinecone, looping the twine around the top few scales. String on one or two beads, then tie on your next pinecone. Continue this way, spacing the pinecones 3 to 5 inches apart.
- To add the leaves: Fold the leaf stem down over the string in between the pinecones and beads, and secure in the back with tape.
*Tip: Paint a few extra pinecones and beads to scatter along your runner for easy table decorations.