Our little peanuts started school last week and it has been a little bit of an adjustment for them as well as for us. We are having to get back in our nighttime routines and going to be earlier has been a bit of a challenge. We are still clinging onto the recent summer memories of playing outside until it got dark and late movie nights with the family. One of the things we have been trying to do to establish a good routine at night and get them excited about going to school again is bedtime stories. Yes we hear it all the time and we do read a lot, but it really is so so important to read to your peanuts and creating a routine that they do it every night before bed is so rewarding for them and has also been rewarding for us moms! We hope you will join us on this challenge and try reading to your kiddos every night or as much as possible. To make things a little bit easier we have put together of our top 10 favorite bedtime stories that encourage going to be, have great educational learning lessons and beautiful images your babes will love and practically beg for you to read more! We would also love to hear some of your favorites… we are always looking for new reads to add to our library!
1. Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site | Hands down our favorite bedtime book and it’s requested every night! Little boys who love tractors will love this book and it’s a great way to encourage going to bed.
2. Splat the Cat | We love the Splat books and pretty much have them all! This is the first book and it’s all about Splats first day at school. This book is perfect for little kids going to school for the first time and they will love the illustrations!
3. The Day the Crayons Quit | Crayons have feelings too! This darling back to school book is perfect for learning colors in a funny way!
4. Those Darn Squirrels | This is the story of what happens when a grumpy old man and some mischievous squirrels match wits—with hilarious results. You and your kiddos will be laughing a lot with this one!
5. Stream Train, Dream Train | When the dream train pulls into Night Falls station, a crew of assorted and rambunctious animals loads the train cars one by one. With striking artwork and gentle rhyme, this is a soothing bedtime tale that takes the listener to dreamland.
6. Llama Llama Red Pajama | Another great series! Baby Llama loves a bedtime story and good-night kiss from mama. But when Mama Llama turns off the light and leaves the room, Baby Llama begins to worry. His whimpering turns into a hollering drama – until mama returns to reassure him.
7. Skippyjon Jones | This is a wildly wonderful book about a hyperactive kitten, Skippyjon Jones, whose head and ears are too big for his body, and whose imagination is too intense for his mama. Chock-full of rhyming chants and cute illustrations!
8. Where the Wild Things Are | This one is a classic that we loved as little kids. An enchanting dreamland adventure that is full of discoveries and excitement. It will become an instant favorite!
9. Olivia and the Fairy Princess | This special book is perfect for that special fairy princess reader. Olivia is having an identity crisis! There are too many ruffly, sparkly princesses around these days, and Olivia has had quite enough. She needs to stand out! We love this hilarious take on individuality.
10. How do Dinosaurs Count to Ten? | Over and over and over again! The perfect count-along book that helps kids learn their numbers in a fun way with silly dinosaurs and simple, rhyming text. We can’t get enough of the laugh-out-loud illustrations!