To continue with our summer picnic party we have just the sweet treat for you! Our Strawberry Lemon Shortcakes in a Jar is the perfect pairing for any meal you plan during these summer months. The dense, moist, sponginess of this lemon cake combined with the sweet strawberry cream is an impeccable combination. These are super easy to make and very well can be made ahead of time and kept cool in the fridge until you are ready to go. Try them out at your next gathering as they are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Strawberry Lemon Shortcakes in a Jar
Lemon Shortcake INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 extra large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Strawberry Filling INGREDIENTS
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- 1/2cup chopped fresh strawberries + extra for the tops of the cakes
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a jelly role pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl and set aside. In another bowl whisk yogurt, eggs, 1 cup of the sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold vegetable oil into the batter until fully incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, take strawberries and puree in blender until smooth and put in fridge to cool.
- Once cake is done cooking let it cool in the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and carefully remove the cake and set it on a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- Once cake is completely cooled take 6 jars and a pairing knife. Cut 12 circles out of the cake the size of your jars.
- Take whipping cream and beat until soft peaks form. Then pour in powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth. Lastly fold in strawberry puree.
- Start to build your shortcake jars by layering a piece of cake, then a dollop of strawberry cream, then another layer of cake, then another layer of strawberry cream, lastly top with fresh strawberries.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.